Saturday, July 23, 2011

What A Beautiful Day

It started out clear and cool and a light breeze. Ended up in the mid-70's and a lovely evening for sitting out on the deck. The half moon won't be up until after 1:30 am, my time, but the stars are glowing nicely tonight.

I picked a small amount of red huckleberries this morning. They are ripening despite all the cool weather and rain. I will freeze them until I can get enough for a pie, then I'll mix them with frozen blueberries and mmmm,mmmm,mmmm mmmm mmmm. It is one of the best pies ever! Depending on how many huckleberries you have, combine them with 2/3 - 1/2 the blueberries in your favorite blueberry pie recipe, adjust your sugar accordingly. Makes for a very pretty pie.

With the weather being warmer for this weekend, I'll have to make sure I get out there and pick the berries early. Hopefully the deer or the birds won't get to them before I do. We're expecting some rain and cooler temps on Monday, so tomorrow is the day to get out there.

I just did a search for huckleberries, since I don't know that much about them, and found these guys International Wild Huckleberry Association. Just learned a little something new tonight. Cool! Think I better go get some whipping cream tomorrow.

Oh great. My mouth is now watering for pie.

No comments: